PAUL G. HARRIS shares his research findings primarily through teaching, books, book chapters and scholarly journal articles. He also serves the profession and shares his knowledge with the community through a variety of other activities, as outlined below.
- University service: Professor Harris has served in university positions in Britain, Hong Kong and the United States. In addition to his research and teaching work, his management responsibilities have included being head of a department of Social Sciences, director of a center for Asian Pacific Studies, director of an Environmental Studies program, and chair of studies for International Relations, Development Studies and Asia Studies, among a variety of other roles.
- Research direction: In addition to directing university research units, Professor Harris has initiated and directed a number of international research projects leading to many books and other scholarly publications. For example, he was director of the Project on Environmental Change and Foreign Policy, which involved more than 100 scholars from around the world, and which resulted in ten books, policy reports, conference/workshop papers and proceedings, newspaper commentaries, and many peer-reviewed articles and chapters.
- Fellowships: Professor Harris has held fellowships at several universities, including Oxford University (where he was a research fellow) and Harvard University (where he was a teaching fellow). He is currently a Senior Research Fellow in the Earth System Governance global research alliance.
- Journal work: Professor Harris is an associate editor of the Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences, a member of the editorial boards of Diplomacy and Statecraft and Environmental Humanities, and a member of the Advisory Board of Global Change, Peace and Security.
- Scholarly peer review: Professor Harris is frequently commissioned to review of article manuscripts for scholarly journals and book manuscripts (and book proposals) for university presses and academic publishers. He reviews research funding proposals for universities, government agencies and international organizations.
- Academic program review and evaluation: Professor Harris serves as an external reviewer and assessor of university degree programs and courses, and as an examiner of research-student thesis and dissertations.
- Commentaries and op-eds: Professor Harris’s interpretations of international and environmental affairs have appeared many times in traditional newspapers (click here for an example) and online news outlets (click here or here for a recent example).
- Media interviews: Professor Harris’s media exposure is related to climate politics, environmental policy, international relations and foreign policy. He has been interviewed by local and international newspapers, news agencies, television and radio broadcasters, and online media outlets, including Agence France-Presse, Agencia EFE, Apple Daily, Asia Television, Associated Press, Australia Broadcasting Corporation, BBC, CNBC, CNN, Financial Times, International Herald Tribune, La Nacion, Le Soleil, Marketplace radio, Mediacorp International, Ming Pao, Public Radio International, Radio Australia, Radio France Internationale, Radio Netherlands, Radio Singapore International, Radio Television Hong Kong, Reuters, Singapore Radio, Singpao, Sing Tao Daily, South China Morning Post, Swiss TV, Ta Kung Po, Times Higher Education Supplement, Today (Singapore), Toronto Star, Voice of America, Wen We Po and others. (For inquiries, please click here.)
- Conference presentations and other speaking engagements: Professor Harris has given many presentations at scholarly conferences, conducted public seminars and delivered speeches on climate change politics and international environmental affairs. (NB: Professor Harris now limits his in-person international engagements to those that are likely to have enough beneficial social impact to outweigh the environmental harm caused by air travel. For further explanation, click here and here.)
- Charitable service: Professor Harris donates his time to non-profit organizations when his experience can contribute to their charitable missions. He is currently a member of the Program and Advocacy Committee of Oxfam Hong Kong.
- Consultation: Professor Harris conducts knowledge exchange, proprietary research and specialist report writing for governments, universities and other organizations. Areas examined by this work have included, for example, climate politics and international climate negotiations; environmental politics, policies and foreign relations of China and the United States; global environmental and climate justice; and education for environmental sustainability. (For inquiries, please click here.)
©2019 Paul G. Harris. All rights reserved. Photo credit: USGS.