PAUL G. HARRIS has been teaching university courses in environmental studies, international relations and political science since the mid-1990s. He has supervised the research of advanced undergraduate, master’s degree and Ph.D. students (meet one here) in international and environmental politics. He has worked with academic teams to develop a number of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
“My pedagogical philosophy is to do more than teach the subject at hand. I also strive to enhance my students’ analytical skills and to help them develop a stronger sense of social responsibility and global citizenship. With the proliferation of information technologies, it’s more important than ever to help students learn how to identify what’s most important — and why.” Paul G. Harris
Professor Harris teaches courses in degree programs offered by the Department of Social Sciences and the Department of Science and Environmental Studies at the Education University of Hong Kong. Most of his undergraduate teaching is for the Bachelor of Social Sciences in Global and Environmental Studies, the Bachelor of Arts in Education for Sustainability, and the degree minor in the Human Dimensions of Climate Change.
In the 2018-19 academic year, Professor Harris is supervising honor’s research and teaching “The Politics of Climate Change” and “Environmental Ethics and Philosophy.” Students interested in his teaching are encouraged to get in touch with questions. Professor Harris also welcomes queries from potential doctoral candidates with complementary research interests. Application information for the doctoral program is available from the Graduate School.
Scroll down this page for a list of many of the university courses that Professor Harris has taught (and where).
- Animal Rights (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Asian International Relations (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Causes and Prevention of War (Brandeis University with Seyom Brown)
- Climate Justice (Lingnan University)
- Comparative Environmental Politics and Policy (Lingnan University)
“I think it is lucky for me to have attended your courses in my undergraduate study. I would like to express my gratitude to you and thank you for giving me such a great experience of learning.” S.Y. Chwang
- Diplomacy (UCK, Norwich University), post-grad level
- Environmental Change and Foreign Policy in Asia Pacific (Lingnan University Selected Issues in the Asian Pacific Region)
- Environmental Change, Sustainability and Society (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Environmental Ethics and Philosophy (Education University of Hong Kong)
“Thank you for your teaching. I learnt a lot from the courses you taught (Global Environmental Governance and the Politics of Climate Change). At the beginning, I felt that your course is quite difficult [but soon] I realised that I learnt more in this kind of teaching style… It is enjoyable.” Cherry Ho
- Environmental Psychology and Values (Lingnan University)
- Environmental Studies/Selected Issues in Environmental Studies (Lingnan University)
- Environment and Development (Oxford University), post-grad tutorials
- Environment and Society in Hong Kong (Lingnan University)
- Ethics and International Affairs (London Guildhall University, Lingnan University Selected Issues in International Political and Legal Affairs)
“Your teaching method (having a discussion in class, instead of you giving us a lecture and we just listening) changed me… And I really appreciate that you helped us a lot, such as giving us advice on our assignments and our future plans. Thank you very much.” Fiona Li
- Ethics and International Relations (UCK), post-grad course
- Global and Environmental Justice and Rights (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Global Environmental Governance/Global Environmental Politics (Lingnan University, Education University of Hong Kong)
- Globalization and Justice (Education University of Hong Kong)
- International Economics (Norwich University), post-grad course
“You are always admirable [and] one of the teachers who influenced me in my life.” Esther Luk
- International Law (Norwich University), post-grad course
- International Organization and Regimes (Lingnan University)
- International Politics and Law (Education University of Hong Kong)
- International Relations/International Politics introductory courses (Education University of Hong Kong, Lingnan University, London Guildhall University, Brandeis University and Harvard University with Seyom Brown, University of New Hampshire)
- International Relations Theory (London Guildhall University, Norwich University [post-grad course])
- Politics/Introduction to Political Science (London Guildhall University, Lingnan University)
- Politics of Climate Change (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Trade and International Relations of the Asia Pacific (Lingnan University)
- United Nations Organization (UCK), post-grad course
- U.S. Foreign Policy (University of New Hampshire, London Guildhall University, Lingnan University)
- World Ethics and Climate Change (Education University of Hong Kong)
- World Politics (University of New Hampshire)
- +Lectures in additional undergraduate EdUHK courses, e.g., Hong Kong History and Culture, Honors Project methods course, Perspectives on Citizenship, etc.
- +Lecturing in EdUHK doctoral/PG-research courses, e.g., Conceptualizing Research, Development of Research Proposals, Thesis Preparation, etc.
- +Supervision of advanced undergraduate, honors, M.A. and Ph.D. research in many areas related to environmental and international affairs.
©2018 Paul G. Harris. All rights reserved. Photo credits (top to bottom): USGS, PGH, EdUHK, EdUHK SSC, USGS, NASA.