PAUL G. HARRIS has been teaching university courses in international relations, environmental studies and political science since the mid-1990s. Scroll down this page for more information and to see the courses that he has taught (and where he has taught them).
“My pedagogical philosophy is to do more than teach the subject at hand. I also strive to enhance my students’ analytical skills and help them develop a stronger sense of social responsibility and global citizenship. With the proliferation of information technologies, it’s more important than ever to help students learn how to identify what’s most important — and why.” Paul G. Harris
Professor Harris teaches courses in degree programs offered by the Department of Social Sciences and the Department of Science and Environmental Studies at the Education University of Hong Kong. He has supervised the research of advanced undergraduate, masters and doctoral students. He has worked with academic teams to develop a number of undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
Professor Harris’s teaching in the 2020-2021 academic year includes his longstanding course on “The Politics of Climate Change” (SSC3187) and a new course offered for the first time at EdUHK, “United States Foreign Policy” (SSC3295). Students interested in these courses are encouraged to get in touch with questions.
NOTICE: The party-state (“national”) security law came into effect in Hong Kong in June 2020. All persons, regardless of nationality, including prospective students living outside Hong Kong (whether or not they are citizens of China), who have openly criticized the Chinese or Hong Kong governments or have advocated freedoms for Hong Kong, even if that was done outside China or Hong Kong, may be subject to arrest and prosecution in Hong Kong and/or China.
“I want to thank you for the amazing time I had in your lectures last year in Hong Kong. I learned so much and it completely changed the way I understand global warming.” Nicolai Johannessen
- Animal Rights (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Asian International Relations (Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Causes and Prevention of War (Brandeis University with Seyom Brown)
- Climate Justice (Lingnan University)
- Comparative Environmental Politics and Policy (Lingnan University)
“Having studied environmental science for two years, I thought that I would know most things already when I took your courses “Environmental Ethics and Philosophy” and “Politics of Climate Change”. Let’s just say that I was wrong. I think you challenged me and every other student…. Your teaching creates a ripple effect that will pass on an environmental mentality way beyond your students.” Anna Westerberg
- Diplomacy (UCK, Norwich University), post-grad level
- Environmental Change and Foreign Policy in Asia Pacific (Lingnan University Selected Issues in the Asian Pacific Region)
- Environmental Change, Sustainability and Society (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Environmental Ethics and Philosophy (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Environmental Psychology and Values (Lingnan University)
“I think it is lucky for me to have attended your courses in my undergraduate study. I would like to express my gratitude to you and thank you for giving me such a great experience of learning.” S.Y. Chwang
- Environmental Studies/Selected Issues in Environmental Studies (Lingnan University)
- Environment and Development (Oxford University post-grad tutorials)
- Environment and Society in Hong Kong (Lingnan University)
- Ethics and International Affairs (London Guildhall University, Lingnan University Selected Issues in International Political and Legal Affairs)
- Ethics and International Relations (UCK), post-grad course
“Thank you for your teaching. I learnt a lot from the courses you taught (Global Environmental Governance and the Politics of Climate Change). At the beginning, I felt that your course is quite difficult [but soon] I realised that I learnt more in this kind of teaching style…. It is enjoyable.” Cherry Ho
- Global and Environmental Justice and Rights (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Global Environmental Governance/Global Environmental Politics (Lingnan University, Education University of Hong Kong)
- Globalization and Justice (Education University of Hong Kong)
- International Economics (Norwich University), post-grad course
- International Law (Norwich University), post-grad course
“Your teaching method changed me.… And I really appreciate that you helped us a lot, such as giving us advice on our assignments and our future plans. Thank you very much.” Fiona Li
- International Organization and Regimes (Lingnan University)
- International Politics and Law (Education University of Hong Kong)
- International Relations/International Politics introductory courses (Education University of Hong Kong, Lingnan University, London Guildhall University, Brandeis University and Harvard University with Seyom Brown, University of New Hampshire)
- International Relations Theory (London Guildhall University, Norwich University [post-grad course])
- Politics/Introduction to Political Science (London Guildhall University, Lingnan University)
“You are always admirable [and] one of the teachers who influenced me in my life.” Esther Luk
- Politics of Climate Change (Education University of Hong Kong)
- Trade and International Relations of the Asia Pacific (Lingnan University)
- United Nations Organization (UCK), post-grad course
- U.S./American Foreign Policy (University of New Hampshire, London Guildhall University, Lingnan University, Education University of Hong Kong)
- World Ethics and Climate Change (Education University of Hong Kong)
- World Politics (University of New Hampshire)
- +Lectures in additional undergraduate EdUHK courses, e.g., Hong Kong History and Culture, Honors Project methods course, Perspectives on Citizenship, etc.
- +Lecturing in EdUHK doctoral/PG-research courses, e.g., Conceptualizing Research, Development of Research Proposals, Thesis Preparation, etc.
- +Supervision of advanced undergraduate, honors, M.A. and Ph.D. research in many areas related to environmental, international, and political affairs.